Select Language
Select Language

Breaking down specialist disability accommodation

Are you currently looking for a home that suits your needs and one that provides you more independence? Specialist Disability Accommodation might be the correct move for you.


Specialist Disability Accommodation… what is it?

Specialist Disability Accommodation (SDA) is a National Disability Insurance Agency (NDIA) approved accommodation for participants who have a need for specialised housing options. SDA can either be a house, apartment or unit, or another type of building. In most cases, SDA homes are to be shared between participants. There is a maximum of five participants in each home. Although there are options available where the participant can live by themselves or with people without a disability. A person without a disability is usually someone who can help you and build independence in your life. 

Who can access SDA?

SDA homes are not always available to all NDIS participants. In fact, the NDIA has estimated that only 6% of participants are actually eligible for this service. Those who are eligible, are usually participants who have a very high support need or are suffering from extreme functional impairment. SDA can definitely open doors to better housing opportunities with high accessibility for all their participants that are living in large residential centers, group homes, or aged care facilities and nursing homes.

What are the eligibility requirements for SDA? 

  1. Other than having a very high support need or an extreme functional impairment, the NDIA wants to ensure you have considered all other housing options, like home modifications, assistive technology, and Supported Independent Living (SIL) supports, before going down the SDA path.
  2.  If you have trouble getting in and out of bed, getting dressed, moving around, preparing meals, or accessing the community. This is when you need to consider SDA as an option to explore!

What’s the cost of Specialist Disability Accommodation?

The amount of SDA funding that is often included in your plan would be a huge part while taking into consideration- 

  •  the type of accommodation you require
  • the number of people you will live with 
  • the location and any other features.

 The funding that would receive, could cover the cost of the housing, including outgoing maintenance costs. However, SDA is definitely not totally free. Just like with other rental options, you would need to pay a reasonable amount for the rent contribution. This varies with each case and how severe is the case. The NDIA can guide you through this process. You can also contact your local NDIS provider OSAN Ability Assist to know more about the properties available. 

How to access the Specialist Disability Accommodation? 

Accessing SDA can be a bit of a complicated process. The first step is to discuss your current situation and support with your NDIA planner at your planning meeting. This gives them the opportunity to review your needs, including the potential of SDA.

If it is determined that you may require ongoing SDA support, the NDIA would then assess your needs. When approved, SDA will be added to your NDIS plan. Then the NDIA can help you meet your accommodation needs by searching for appropriate SDA in your area. If you are looking for an NDIS registered service provider, contact your local OSAN Ability Assist today at  NDIS service providers or, feel free to call us at 1300 799 941

Send us a message. We will get back to you ASAP!

For all urgent enquiries call

  • This field is for validation purposes and should be left unchanged.