A personal care assistant is responsible for providing services that meet your basic personal care needs. They typically work with older people or people with disabilities.
Where do Personal Care Assistants work?
Personal care assistants work in hospitals, aged care facilities and respite centres. As home-based care is becoming more popular, more personal care assistants are working in private homes.
Personal Care Services
Personal care assistants help you to stay at home longer or increase your independence. They often help with daily care activities, including:
- Showering or bathing
- Dressing and grooming
- Using the toilet and continence management
- Moving around, including walking around the house or outside and transferring from one place to another, such as from a bed to a chair.
They can also help with the housekeeping and by running simple errands.
While not medically trained, personal care assistants can still help you meet your medical needs. They are heavily involved in personalised care plans, so they are able to provide personal care services tailored to your unique needs. They are trained to:
- follow therapy plans, such as assisting you if you have dementia or behavioural problems
- observe and report changes in your condition and get you the necessary help quickly
- provide support with rehabilitation exercises and taking medication.
What Qualities Should a Personal Care Assistant Have?
When it comes to choosing a personal care assistant in Sydney, it’s important to look at more than just their qualifications and training. A number of personality traits will indicate whether they are the best care assistant for you. These could include:
- Patience: The job can sometimes be challenging and frustrating. You want someone who can handle difficulties with plenty of patience and care.
- A good listener: Personal care assistants are companions who will be spending lots of time with you. You want someone who is willing to listen to your instructions, requests and stories.
- Organised: Caring for older people or people with disabilities requires superb attention to detail. An organised personal care assistant will ensure you get the type of care you deserve.
- Willing to go the extra mile: There will be times when you will need that extra bit of help. Are they willing to provide it?
At OSAN Ability Assist, we have a passionate team of personal care assistants who are committed to providing you with the best care. Our aim is to help you improve your quality of life while living at home. Our friendly staff would love to hear from you with any questions you have about our services. You can reach us on 1300 799 941.